Wednesday, November 07, 2007

 

Revenge of the Nerds

Apparently, there's a candy now called "Nerds." The Boy got some in his Halloween loot, and opened the box after dinner last night.

The following ensued.

TB: NERDS!

The Wife: (chuckle)

DD: Ouch.

TB: I like nerds!

The Wife and DD: (chuckle)

TB: Mmm. Nerds are sweet.

TW/DD: (snarfle)

(TB spills some.)

TB: Uh-oh! There's a nerd by The Girl!

TW: There certainly is.

DD: Harumph.

TW: How do you feel about that, DD?

DD: Exposed. I've been outed.

TB: Huh?

DD: Do you know what a nerd is?

TB: No.

DD: Good.

TW: Someday, you'll hear that there's a nerd by TG.

DD: She could do a lot worse.

TW (smiling wryly): Mmm-hmm...


Comments:
I think Nerds (the candy) go back to the early 80s. How did you miss them until now, DD?
 
When I was coaching debate, I had a box of nerds (candy) in my car -- just so I wouldn't miss my team when I wasn't with them :).
 
I totally grew up eating Nerds. And I can't be all that much younger than you are, can I?
 
I was just having a conversation about nerds with a coworker last week. Someone brought in their leftover Halloween candy and left it in the breakroom. I am powerless to resist them.

I believe they originally came out in the early 80s and have had somewhat of a resurgence recently. DD you have to get the Boy a real box of Nerds, not just the halloween snack size. They come in a box that is about 4 inches high and 3 inches wide. The box is split in half, vertically, with an opening on either side. Each half has a different flavor. Back around 1986/87 they came out with Nerds Cereal. The cereal box was just like the candy and had two bags inside to keep the two flavors separated.

I'm sure that is more than anyone ever wanted to know about Nerds. I guess I am what I eat.
 
Here in Honors we always have candy available, as a shameless way to lure the students into the office. Our preferred candy? Nerds and Smarties.
 
I often have silly competitions in class, the prize for first place being a small chocolate bar. The others get to pick: Smarties or Dum-Dums.
 
"Here in Honors we always have candy available, as a shameless way to lure the students into the office. Our preferred candy? Nerds and Smarties."

You mean, like, the witch in Hansel and Gretel.
 
Just be glad he didn't have any Sugar Daddies ...
 
Yeah, DD, Nerds have been around forever! Where have you been?
 
In my mind, candy is divided into two categories:

1. Chocolate

2. Not chocolate

The second is so clearly inferior to the first that I've simply tuned it out. Nerds fall into the second, so they escaped my notice.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?