Wednesday, February 27, 2008

 

Ask the Administrator: Suggestions for Research?

A canny correspondent writes:

I work for a community college system and am working on an Ed.D. in leadership. I am casting around for research questions and wondered if you had any thoughts regarding useful research questions centering around community colleges, systems and educational leadership.

Ooh, I like that.

I'll preface this with something along the lines of “my degree is in an evergreen discipline, rather than in higher ed, so there may be reams of research in these areas that I just don't know about.” And an embarrassing amount of the stuff I have seen about higher ed is autobiographical case studies in which the folks who started a given initiative write about it, so it's neither objective nor comparative.

(Of course, one could say the same about my blog. The difference is, it's a blog.)

So a few things I'd like to see studied systematically:

That's off the top of my head, anyway. The common denominator, I think, is that they're mostly comparative. That seems to be what's lacking in most of the literature I've seen, which, admittedly, is less than it could be.

Good luck with your project!

Wise and worldly readers – what would you like to see studied systematically?

Have a question? Ask the Administrator at deandad (at) gmail (dot) com.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?