Wednesday, May 27, 2015

 

Fenway


One day last week, I got the call that many New England parents crave.  “A friend has two extra tickets to tonight’s Red Sox game.  Can you take The Boy?”

Uh, that would be “yes.”  Especially since our stay in New England will be over soon.  Any excuse to visit Fenway with TB is a good excuse.

I was raised with the belief that the last two words of the national anthem were “play ball!”  Baseball was part of the language that my grandfather and I shared.  It was the one sport at which I demonstrated any basic competence.  I remember my Dad taking my brother and me to Red Wings games, back in Rochester, where we saw a hotshot young third baseman named Cal Ripken Jr. on his way up.  (He switched to shortstop in the big leagues.)  Now, I routinely play catcher for TB while he practices pitching in the front yard, though I admit having to take “knee” breaks more often than I once did.  Fortysomething knees are slow to forgive the catcher’s squat.  As Kristin Hersh put it, getting up is what hurts.

TB will be fourteen this week.  He’s growing into himself so quickly that it’s easy to lose track.  And it’s not just the size-14 shoes.  (That’s literally true.)  It’s the discernible outline of a young man’s personality.  He’s becoming a complicated, funny, smart, charming, gentlemanly, slightly earnest young man.  It’s happening so quickly that I don’t want to miss any of it.  He’s handling adolescence so much better than I did that I’m both proud and mystified.  Parents will know that feeling.  

Baseball gets flak, some deserved, for being slow and boring.  But we spent the better part of the night either driving or watching the Sox, bantering happily all the while.  We commented on the plays, goofed on each other’s musical guilty pleasures (his is Nickelback; mine is Taylor Swift), and made each other laugh over and over again.  I remember the games with my Dad; I hope he’ll remember games with me.  We didn’t get home until about 1:00, but I didn’t care.

I wasn’t bored for a single minute.  I suspect Dad and Grandpa weren’t, either.

Comments:
Awesome.

PS - Some would say the last two words are "the Braves" (take your pick of Boston or Milwaukee or Atlanta) (yes, I am old) (no, not a fan).
 
If you want to talk to a teenager, stick them in the car. I learned this driving my sister to Reno from the SF Bay Area following delta backroads (we used the only route to Reno that requires a ferry). My little sister, a largely monosyllabic 15 year old kid - usually seen only briefly outside her room - turned into a complete motor mouth for 4.5 hours. It was awesome. I drove her everywhere I could after that.

 
Ah... we're Brazilians who don't really know much about baseball, but the Red Sox are our team! I watched every game when they finally broke the curse!

Are you guys moving to another part of the country? (I'm not the most assiduous reader, so I may have missed something, sorry!). ;-)
 
L: Read Monday's article for details.

To people in the northeastern US, he is moving to another country. (He is going from Taxachusetts to Joisey.) To people more than 500 miles from New York City, he is moving across the street. ;-)
 
Very helpful advice in this particular post! It’s the little changes that make the largest changes. Thanks for sharing!
Signature:
i like play games happy wheels online and play happy wheels 2 games and friv , girlsgogames , games2girls

 
You topic is very great and useful for us…Thank you for that information you article.
Signature:
Download retrica online includes more than eighty different filters with many different styles and include retrica indir , happy wheels , agario , happywheels , agar ,

 
agar - agario game is a massively multiplayer action game developed by Matheus Valadares. agario skins a multiplayer browser game in which players have to eat competitors or be eaten while striving to dominate the world of colorful cells. agar io can be played in a deathmatch or between teams. To control the game agario you just need to use your mouse/track pad, the "w" key and the SPACEBAR. The mouse navigates your blob around and the SPACEBAR allows you to split your cell(s) in half and the "w" key allows you to eject mass for feeding other players, viruses or help you drop some weight to get out of a tough spot. Enjoy the world of agario skin!
Visit to play: Agario jeu est un jeu affronte des milliers de concurrents. Play SuperMechs online for free - The best Super Mechs - super mechs 2 games series, defeat the enemy to win and level up. Play Atari breakout is a very easy game to play. Atari breakout - atari breakout game began with eight rows of blocks, each two rows had different colors.

 

Earn to Die is the latest installment of the Earn to Die series. Here the game quickly picks off from where it left off and sees the main character escaping the zombies and reaching the military base.

Earn to Die 2 | Earn to Die 3


Tank Trouble Game is one of the most exciting online flash games, it revolves around shooting of opponent tanks and finishing them for points.

Tank trouble 2 | Tank trouble 3 | Tank trouble 4
 
Thanks for the best blog.it was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what i was looking for, and i am glad to came here!
Open Facebook
| Science Kombat
| Science Kombat Game
| Earn to Die
| Tank Trouble

 
This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you.
- usps tracking
- iphone 7 release date
- netflix

 
Thanks for the best blog.it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Thanks for giving me the useful information. I think I need it!
Happy Wheels , FNAF World , Five Nights At Freddy's

 
Thanks for the best blog.it was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what i was looking for, and i am glad to came here!
slither.io skins | Science Kombat | Science Kombat Game | wings.io | Tank Trouble | Tank trouble 2 | Tank trouble 3 | Tank trouble 4

 
This was actually what i was looking for, and i am glad to came here! Thank you very much
Traffic Rider
traffic rider jogo
traffic rider baixar
baixar traffic rider

 
This is the game so players feel very fierce , adventurous . You try to join and play this game , you will feel great like.
age of war | tank trouble 2 |earn to die
gun mayhem | gun mayhem 2
slitherio | slither.io | slither io
can your pet | Red Ball | | duck life
Gmail.com by Google is one of the most popular email services nowadays which lets you send emails to your friends, relatives, business partners wherever they are (the only thing they need is the Internet)
gmail sign in | create a gmail account
Gmail login

 
Welcomes to google terminal keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.
google snake this was actually EARN TO DIE
what i was looking for,and i am glad to came here! AGE OF WAR 2
Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for a while HAPPY WHEELS
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! Slitherio
Amazing insight you have on this, Slither io This article always blew me BIG FARM
hotmail sign in | hotmail login
sign in to hotmail | log in to hotmail

 
Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend
facebook gratis
whatsapp gratis
temple run 2
traffic rider

 
Good information in the article.

Latest Bank Jobs 2016
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?