Thursday, September 01, 2005

 

Reflections on The Wife's birthday

Two dozen years ago, I was a pariah. I was the geeky kid the other kids punish for existing. I was the common enemy that united my little adolescent world.

A dozen years ago I was single, poor, and despondent. I didn’t see a professional future, my relationships were bad jokes, and I didn’t know what I was going to do.

A half-dozen years ago I married a woman who outclasses me in every way. She’s a wonderful wife, and the kind of mother I wish every child could have. We’re lucky enough not to live in the path of a hurricane, or the shadow of a fallen tower. We’re healthy, and our children are healthy and beautiful. I look forward to coming home at the end of the day. Our son starts public preschool next week, and we couldn’t be happier about it. I like my job. I love my family.

Her name isn’t Grace, but it should be.

Happy birthday, honey.

Comments:
Thanks, B. So far it's been a day like any other, changing diapers and doing laundry. But we did get out and walk to the park where we played on the swings and threw rocks in the stream. The Boy pushed the Girl in the swing and she laughed and laughed. It's a nice birthday memory.

See you tonight! Remember, you're making dinner! Woo-hoo!
 
Awwww, you guys are awesome.
I love the love you have.
 
Oh no, not another childhood geek. You summarized my school days perfectly. I guess we got the last laugh, eh?

What a lovely birthday tribute. Happy Birthday, Mrs Dean Dad!!

xo Dani
 
DD, this is beautiful, and Mrs. DD must feel like the luckiest woman in the world. *sigh* Too, too sweet.
 
Awwww... that's so sweet! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?